Monday, April 28, 2014

Multiple Triggers = Nasty Migraine


Yesterday showed me what combining triggers will do for pain.  Wow!  What a nasty one.
Trigger: Exercise Stress.  On Saturday, Almira had a town yard sale.  While that can be very fun (and it was), it was also a bit stressful.  Our town is 7 blocks by 7 blocks, so driving to each of the yard sales just wasn't feasible.  While walking that might not seem like much, for someone as out of shape as I am, it was difficult.  Between all the walking and the small hills in town, my body must have thought I was trying to kill it.  This also leads to the next trigger.

Trigger: Dehydration.  All that walking kept us out for quite a few hours.  Not thinking, I didn't put on any sunblock or take any water with me.  By the time we got home, I was feeling almost feverish.  I worked on drinking water while cleaning and filling the dresser we got for my girls.  I'm still feeling a bit dehydrated, but it's not as bad as it was.

Trigger: Rough Sleeping.  Saturday night was my sleep study.  That wasn't bad, but it sure didn't offer any real rest.  Having wires attached to my face, scalp, chest and legs was not comfortable.  The breathing sensor inside of my nose and taped underneath it was not at all pleasant.  The oximeter wrapped tightly around my finger made placing my hands comfortably even more challenging.  The band around my chest was just shy of painful.  Add to all of this was a strange bed, different pillows, and lights I am not used to.  This all adds up to a rough night.  While I slept fairly well (I only woke up a couple of times), I didn't really get any rest.  So little rest that when I woke up at about quarter to 5, I thought it was closer to 2 or 3.

Trigger: Weather.  On my way to the sleep study, a storm came in, sort of.  It was more of a light sprinkling.  Sunday morning, however, was very different.  Cold rainstorm.  That hurts my head more than just about any other trigger I have found.  And it continued most of the day.

By the time I got home yesterday, I was ready to drop.  Unfortunately, I had a few things to do before I could.  Once I did, however, I took a 3 1/2 hour nap.  I felt almost normal when I woke up, though by the time dinner was done, I was back to being in pain.  I actually sent myself to my room because I was so very cranky.


I know triggers are bad.  When you combine a bunch, it's so much worse.  Hopefully, that won't be happening again.




Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At June 13, 2014 at 9:42 PM , Anonymous maggie.danhakl@healthline.com said...

Hi Cindy,

Hope this finds you well. Healthline just released an interactive guide on migraine triggers. The page details 14 common triggers for migraines and how you can manage them. You can check out the guide here: http://www.healthline.com/health/migraine/triggers

This is very valuable, med-reviewed information that helps a sufferer lessen migraine severity and frequency. I thought this would be a great tool for your site, and I am writing to ask if you would include it as a resource on your page: http://shanonamommy2006.blogspot.com/2014/04/multiple-triggers-nasty-migraine.html

Please let me know if this would be possible. I’m happy to answer any other questions as well.

Warm regards,
Maggie Danhakl • Assistant Marketing Manager
Healthline • The Power of Intelligent Health
660 Third Street, San Francisco, CA 94107
www.healthline.com | @Healthline | @HealthlineCorp

About Us: corp.healthline.com

 
At February 4, 2016 at 2:40 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Cindy! I get tension headaches which are like migraines. Usually stress triggers mine. But a few days ago my eyes were hurting (I think from eye strain) and that turned into a tension headache. I took some tension headache medicine and it was gone a few hours later. Have a nice day!

Jacqueline Hodges @ Dr Koziol

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home