Thursday, March 20, 2014

Chronic Pain Relationships

Today's post is brought to you by a couple of days of pain.  Monday night, I took Ted's dad to the train station for a week long visit to North Dakota.  Between the train arrival time being later than my normal bedtime coupled with it being an hour late, I was not doing well come Tuesday.  I still haven't recovered.  Ted has fibromyalgia, which has been acting up a bit the last few days.

All of this hit us both pretty hard at about 2:30 this morning.  He woke up with his whole body just aching and I woke up with a level 8 migraine.  When I have that bad of a migraine, I just want to cuddle and/or be held.  When his fibro is acting up that bad, he needs to be left alone, since it hurts him even more to be touched.  These are not good combinations.

When this happens, you would think it would be a recipe for disaster and I think, normally, it would be.  But we manage.  I curl up as close to him as I can without touching him and let him lay his arm on me.  I think it works for us.  I feel better knowing he is there.

I haven't been able to find much out there where both people in a relationship are coping with chronic illness, so I'm not sure how other people handle this.  It would be interesting to know.



Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home