Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Mother Nature is a Bully

Most people with chronic pain will tell you that weather changes tend to be a big trigger.  For me, that has never been so obvious as the last few weeks have been.  Since Mother Nature can't seem to make up her mind about it being either winter or spring, I have been in almost constant pain.  I have quite a few loved ones who suffer from fibromyalgia.  They have also been suffering through the mood swings of the capricious Mother Nature.  

I'm always being told that if I would just eat healthier and/or exercise, I wouldn't hurt so bad.  That is most likely true.  I would love to be able to.  However, it's hard to eat when a migraine causes nausea.  I would rather not add to the pain by vomiting, so I don't always eat.  As for exercise, it's hard to do indoors with two active children and the cold/snow makes it difficult to go outside and do it.  I'm not saying it's impossible, but when I have a migraine, I try to avoid things that make it worse.


Another problem with having chronic pain is the depression and/or anxiety that comes along with it.  After so long, you start to feel helpless.  I mean, if I can't get my body to cooperate with me, how can I keep going.  You are also always tensed up waiting for the next ball of pain to hit you.  You become tired of all the doctor's appointments, all the medications, the financial worries that come from missing work.  You no longer have a social life because you are in too much pain to contemplate going anywhere.  You worry that your family might get tired of trying to deal with you.  image found here

There is also the pain scale.  It becomes something you ignore anymore.  What is the difference between a 2 and 3 on a normal day.  Then a bad day hurts and you are at anywhere from a 7 to a 9.  If you are very lucky, you get to avoid a 10.  I can't remember the last time I was at a 0 or even a 1.  image found here

I'm so very tired of being in pain.  I'm tired of taking medication.  I realize that I will probably never be free of it, but I want to be.  I want to live my life again.  I miss being able to just do what I want and not have to worry about a whether or not a migraine is going to worry about.  I'm tired of not being able to make plans or even making them and then having to cancel.

As for Mother Nature, I'm with other people who say she needs to get it together and decide what season it is.  Please.  We can't take much more of this pain.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home