Thursday, March 6, 2014

And Another New Medicine

So the experiment with Dexamethazone didn't go so well.  It's one of those steroids that can inhibit your sleep.  It also gave me horrible night sweats.  Needless to say, the pain did not go away.  By Tuesday, I needed some relief.  On the doctor's orders, I headed to ER.  Since I live in such a small area, that was a strange trip.  After registering, I was taken to the clinic across the hall as a walk in.  Turns out there were 3 ambulances on the way and they didn't want me to have to wait.

I get back to a room and the nurse is wonderful.  She has migraines herself and knew what to say and how to say it.  Then the doctor came in.  I was sure I would puke right then and there.  What doctor wears that much perfume?!  It might just have been my sense of smell at the time since Ted couldn't smell anything.

It was decided we would try Toradol and Promethazine.  Now I knew that the Promethazine would work for the nausea, since that is what I take at home.  I've had Toradol shots before and they usually work as well.  We decided to try them and then wait a half hour to see if they would work.

The Toradol did nothing.  It was time to try something new, Dilaudid.  I had heard of Dilaudid, but had never tried it before.  Knowing me and pain medications, I was hoping the Promethazine would continue working.  I really hate nausea and pain medications tend to make migraine nausea worse.

The good news is that the medicine worked.  The bad news is that the anti nausea did not.  The really bad news is that after the Dilaudid wore off, I was in pain again.  And I was still vomiting every time I sat up.  

This was all on Tuesday.  On Wednesday, I called my neurologist to see what I should do.  My luck, he was out of the office attending a meeting for the day.  My options were to wait until Thursday or go back to ER.  I decided I could wait for one day to see what he wanted to try.

Today is Thursday and I have been prescribed Topamax.  I'm hoping that this medicine works AND that the side effects aren't horrible.  There are too many things that could go wrong with this one.



Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home